Oboe/Vintage Loree oboe worth

Question
Hi, I have a vintage Loree Paris oboe that I am thinking of selling. It was made in 1922 I believe, is pitched in tune to today's standards as I've played it in a community orchestra, and it does have the low Bb key, split D ring for the right-hand ring finger, banana key for that same finger, all the necessary trill keys...what's missing is the third octave key, and for the left hand there are only four keys that are activated by that hand (it's missing a 5th key, although I'm not sure what it's called). The oboe is also considerably "thinner" than todays "thicker" Loree oboe, and on each section is printed "L77" ( although it's hard to tell if there's an "H", or some other letter before the "L", it is quite faded on each section). The oboe is in excellent condition, with only a couple repaired cracks. Can you tell me what a ball-park estimate would be for an oboe such as this? Also is this a professional-level instrument? It was made in Paris at around 1922. It has the original case.

PS what would happen to the value of this oboe if I were to modify it by adding that extra key for the left hand? Would it increase or decrease the value?

Thanks.

Answer
Dear Mike

This sounds very much like an answer I responded to privately when I had my vacation dates set an few weeks ago.

It was a similar oboe in vintage. I wonder if you have emailed me about this already. No matter if you have, we'll go from here!!

Now is it possible for you to send me a picture of the instrument and I can see just what you mean about the missing key for the left hand?

Please send a picture to:   geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

The value is very hard to quantify. But do let me have a look and I will try to give you a figure.

In my experience I think adding keys especially to an oboe that has been fixed (cracks repaired) will make no difference to its value when its age is taken into consideration. Historical Oboes are just that. Not greatly respected unfortunately but still worth something.
The oboe would be considered at the time of manufacture to be a professional model. That was what they made in those early days. Simpler models were left to the big companies like Cabart and Malerne. Loree made pro oboes and cors anglais.

Look forward to hearing from you

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge