Oboe/Cabart

Question
QUESTION: I have been offered a Cabart cor Anglais for 600. It will have to be stripped down  and rebuilt - but it works. The serial number is R 11 2. Loree can't help me. Do you have any idea what date it might be please?

ANSWER: Dear Barbara

Cabart cors anglais can be be very nice indeed when they are in good shape. The serial number is a bit meaningless. Cabart made hundreds of instruments for both their own label and for others throughout the world up until around 1970 ish. Loree bought the name in 1974 and will have no access to any lists. Mind you nobody has anything meaningful in list form. We tend to go on instinct and experience.

I would love to see a picture to give me some idea of its year - at least to a decade.

If you could send me one or two to my email address at:  geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com  I will have a look and offer an opinion.

In the meantime I would think that a Cabaret cor for that money is worth having a go at even if extra money needs to be sent on it. Also consider trying lots of crooks on it when you have it overhauled you will be pleased what a difference that makes.

If you are looking for a repairer I can advise you in answer to the email with your pictures. If that's OK by you.

Best wishes

Geofffrey

QUESTION: Thank you Geoffrey. We have a very good woodwind restorer in the village - she is working on it now. interesting advice about crooks but they cost a fortune!

Answer
Dear Barbara

Living where you do that sounds like Jess Rance. She is very good. Still send me a picture when you can I would like to see the instrument and have a stab at its age. Jess may have an idea as well; I presume that you will have asked her. IF of course it is her that has it at the moment.
Send her my best when you see her. I have had dealings with her through the British Double Reed Society!

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge