Oboe/Oboe/English Horn

Question

I have played the bassoon in band for about five years now. Next year, I have to drop out because of my academic schedule, so I was interested in taking on a new instrument in my free time. I have really been considering the English Horn. I have looked into information on it, and found that most players start on the oboe. I unfortunately have never touched an oboe in my life. I would like to think that I am fairly adept at picking up instruments, as I play the piano and bass guitar (and played the clarinet before I switched to bassoon), but I am not familiar with either of the higher-register double-reed instruments. Would I be able to learn how to play the English Horn without becoming an oboist first?

Thank you.

Answer
Wyatt, thank you for your note. Yes, you should be fine learning the EH first. The embouchure is similar and the fingerings are the same (in the third register of EH you may require some alternate fingerings).  With EH however, the investment is considerably more to attain an entry level instrument than with oboe.  You will benefit from professionally made reeds, a quality instrument, and a private tutor to insure your skills are accurately learned the first time.  Best regards, hannah

Oboe

Hannah Selznick