Oboe/oboe identification

oboe 1
oboe 1  

oboe 2
oboe 2  
Hi - I inherited an oboe and know very little about the instrument. It is a wooden Selmer model F4168. Can you tell me where I can locate information about the instrument, its features, and value?  Thank you!

Hi Jennifer

I think from the pictures that you sent your oboe is a Selmer 121. If it is blackwood and has the keys and trills I can see on your pix then this looks the likely model.

If you look up their website and put in Selmer 121 oboe you will see pictures and you can compare. The key work will have changed little over the years so that is a guide for you.

New they sell for about $3000 - $4000 according to the discount applied. Used half of that would be about right.
Much as always with used depends on condition and how it plays.

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed