Oboe/Oboe Reed Receiver

I have a student model oboe by Yamaha with a bobby pin stuck in the reed reciever by previous owner. I want to fix this myself since I got the instrument for free.  I have done numerous types of repairs on various instruments over the years but not this.    What is the best way to remove the Reed reciever.  I know you have to heat it. Will a low temp heat gun work?

Thank you!

Mike thank you for your question. I suggest you contact Jason Onks Woodwind Specialist, who is my instrument technician. His contact information is on his website www.onksws.com  
The type of reed well removal may require a special device. Jason will be able to give you his opinion.  Best wishes, hannah

Hannah Selznick

I have the expertise to answer questions about all brands and models of oboes and English Horns. I will assist in providing information about the process of purchasing and selling an instrument. I know reputable oboe specialist repairmen to recommend. I give guidance on oboe and English Horn reeds. I offer guidance on maintenance and handling of oboes and English Horns and help owners troubleshoot instrument issues.

I have been an instructor of oboe and instrumental music for almost 40 years. I have taught all grade levels from preschool music to college oboe (double reed specialist)instruction. I perform with a professional symphony in the Phoenix area. I also have an active teaching studio. I love what I do, especially in regards to educating future generations of musicians.

International Double Reed Society

BS.ED (Music) University of Missouri MM in Oboe Performance University of Tulsa Post Graduate Work in Oboe at Catholic University of America

Who's Who in America

I have public and private educational institutions as clients; as well as a national referral base of studio teachers and oboe instructors.