Oboe/Linton Oboe

I have an old Linton wooden oboe, serial #N4097.  How can I find out when it was made?  What can you tell me about it?

Dear Pete

I am so sorry that I have been such a time in responding to your question. Please accept my apologies.

The original wooden Linton oboes were made in Elkhart between 1925 and 1950. If yours has "Linton Paris" stamped on the bell then it would have probably been made by Cabaret in France around the 1960s to 1970s when Cabart ceased trading. It is difficult task I'm afraid dating these oboes. So your oboe is an old model. However the name has been used on plastic instruments after this date by Selmer USA also in Elkhart IN.

If you could send me a couple of pictures to my email address I might be able to add something more to this.

Send to : geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed