Oboe/Markardt Oboe dating

Question
I wonder if you could help me please with dating a Markardt Oboe that I recently acquired. The number is 50759-75. I don't know if the 75 means 1975? Many thanks for your help.

Answer
Dear Mike

Theo Markardt the oboe maker was based in Erlbach in Germany but ceased trading in 1976 when his company was bought by Moennig.
They made very good quality instruments. As far as I am aware the last two digits of the serial number does refer to the year of manufacture. So yours was probably made in 1975 I you suggest.
Most of these oboes were made for the German market some with adapted Conservatoire fingering and full automatic octaves.

Hope this helps

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge