Oboe/Markardt Oboe dating

I wonder if you could help me please with dating a Markardt Oboe that I recently acquired. The number is 50759-75. I don't know if the 75 means 1975? Many thanks for your help.

Dear Mike

Theo Markardt the oboe maker was based in Erlbach in Germany but ceased trading in 1976 when his company was bought by Moennig.
They made very good quality instruments. As far as I am aware the last two digits of the serial number does refer to the year of manufacture. So yours was probably made in 1975 I you suggest.
Most of these oboes were made for the German market some with adapted Conservatoire fingering and full automatic octaves.

Hope this helps

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed