Oboe/Triebert Brevette Monopole

Dear Geoffrey,

I have come accross a Triebert Brevette Monopole second hand with thumbplate. Presumably it must be at least from c. 1930 as I am aware the company ceased production then.  But as this maker has such an excellent reputation I was wondering whether the instrument merited a trip all the way to Myatts in Hitchin to try it.

Do you have any experience of trying these monopole models?  Here is the picture:

Once again, many thanks for your time.

Dear Simon

The Triebert company ceased to exist in 1881. The Triebert family had employed Francois Loree until in 1881 the company was bought by Gaufrot and subsequently on by Couesnon. Francois Loree started his own oboe manufacturing company in the same year.

Triebert were famous for developing the oboe mechanism through the 19th Century to a system very close to our modern system.
Couesnon made oboes until about 1935 and used the name "Triebert Monopole" for their best quality instruments. "Brevette" just means patent.

I have had a look at the photograph and their does seem to be some keywork which might not be original. The bell key mechanism for example. I may be wrong on this though. It has the look of an expert key work friend of mine who is no longer with us!

I wonder if a trip to Hitchin would be interesting or frustrating. The instrument could be really pretty good or an absolute "bummer!.'
Now if Myatts can send it to you and you are prepared to pay the expenses for this - that might be a good plan.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed