Oboe/Dating Buffet Crampon oboe

bell logo
bell logo  
Hi! Dear Mr. Bridge
I'm looking for an initiate oboe and it seems to be a good chance about a Buffet Crampon oboe which the seller tells me it's a 7630 serial number. I have been unable to find the exact model to date it by serial number, I think is an intermediate model but I'm not sure.
Thankful in advance.

Dear Jaume

Your oboe looks very much like a Buffet BC4052 which is the top of their range student oboes. In Europe it sells for about 2600 Euros new.
The new model has a different shaped bell but similar keywork. These oboes are a very sound choice for a student and of good quality.

In the UK it is sold with a thumb plate favoured by British players and known as the BC4151.

Dating the instrument is difficult as the serial numbers are only kept for the Buffet professional models. The Student range is actually made in Germany by Schreiber. Sometimes the Schreiber equivalent can be found new cheaper in price.

The date is very difficult but I would say around the 1990s.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed