Oboe/Value of Loree oboe Serial # AL38

Question
Guessing this oboe was made in 1947.  Excellent sound, no Left Hand F.  According to A. Swiney (apprentice to Hans Moennig), the Serial No. AL 38 is the same as the AK series that Marcel Tabuteau used.  Comes with case and shearling cover.
It is time to sell as I have developed two "trigger fingers" which impedes my playing ability.
Also, I have an oboe d'amour that is probably not more than 20 years old.  The name on it is Lucerne Detroit Serial No. 2.  Beautiful, like new, but middle b is flat.  Can you provide an estimate of value for these 2 instruments?  Thank you in advance.  George Rogers

Answer
George, thank you for your note. The Lucerne d'amore is a brand that I am not familiar with so I don't know what the US market value is. It sounds like the tuning issue would also diminish its value unless you consult a  technical specialist like John Symer in NJ and see if he would like to take a look at the instrument.  The AL38 may be worth $1k or so if the bore is intact. You don't mention whether there are cracks/repairs. Since the oboe has no left hand F, oboe instructors steer students away from such instruments because of the importance of the key. A family with little resources may be interested in the Loree as a short term oboe.  Since the bore is different from the 40's, and the silver is now probably soft, the Loree may have a limited marketing value except for a collector or vintage player.

Best regards, hannah

Oboe

Hannah Selznick