Oboe/oboe appraisal

Selmer USA oboe
Selmer USA oboe  

Selmer USA serial number
Selmer USA serial numb  
I have an oboe I purchased, used 1979 (I don't know when it was made).  It is all wood, Selmer USA. It has a left hand F key and goes to low B flat.  It plays well, all keys work, no cracks or other issues. The only number on it is the same on each joint: F 7297
I'm interested in an appraisal for insurance purposes.

Elise, thank you for your note. The Selmer Brand is not a strong brand for oboes. Selmer makes outstanding saxophones however.

The target market for you oboe may be a beginning player and the oboe is worth a few hundred dollars if it is in great condition.  Some Selmer oboes are okay-sounds like yours is perhaps.

You might try Ebay or Craig's List. Best wishes, hannah

Elise....as a post script. If you live in a community with an expert oboe technician; that person can certainly provide you a specific condition summary in order for you to properly value the your instrument.

Thanks again, hannah

Hannah Selznick

I have the expertise to answer questions about all brands and models of oboes and English Horns. I will assist in providing information about the process of purchasing and selling an instrument. I know reputable oboe specialist repairmen to recommend. I give guidance on oboe and English Horn reeds. I offer guidance on maintenance and handling of oboes and English Horns and help owners troubleshoot instrument issues.

I have been an instructor of oboe and instrumental music for almost 40 years. I have taught all grade levels from preschool music to college oboe (double reed specialist)instruction. I perform with a professional symphony in the Phoenix area. I also have an active teaching studio. I love what I do, especially in regards to educating future generations of musicians.

International Double Reed Society

BS.ED (Music) University of Missouri MM in Oboe Performance University of Tulsa Post Graduate Work in Oboe at Catholic University of America

Who's Who in America

I have public and private educational institutions as clients; as well as a national referral base of studio teachers and oboe instructors.