Oboe/Oboe identification

Question
Oboe
Oboe  

Oboe2
Oboe2  
Hi there.  I bought a Selmer Signet oboe recently to play in the local orchestra. I am having trouble identifying the specific model of oboe it is and how much it's worth.  I am hoping you can help me.  The serial number is 18431    I'm sending 3 pictures.  I do notice an extra key on the upper joint that wraps around over the other one.  Thanks for any help you can give me!  Much appreciated!  Michael

Answer
Hi Michael

Thank you for the pictures which help a bit to ID your oboe.

It is quite old and the give away for me as to age are the bands around the top joint (under the first octave key) and the top of the bottom joint.
It has no left hand F or split D plate which suggests an intermediate student model. The wrap round key looks as if it will give you a A flat/B flat trill.

The age is not easy, probably around the 1960s and the value is even more difficult probably - according to how it plays - around $500.

The serial numbers are not useful as the lists are long since gone for the double reeds by Selmer. There are so many different models down the ages some made in the USA and some in France. Lots of intermediate and student models and the occasional "posh" wooden job with all the bells and whistles. All very difficult.

I hope this helps a bit...

Geoffrey

PS anything else - just ask  

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge