Oboe/Oboe identification

Hi there.  I bought a Selmer Signet oboe recently to play in the local orchestra. I am having trouble identifying the specific model of oboe it is and how much it's worth.  I am hoping you can help me.  The serial number is 18431    I'm sending 3 pictures.  I do notice an extra key on the upper joint that wraps around over the other one.  Thanks for any help you can give me!  Much appreciated!  Michael

Hi Michael

Thank you for the pictures which help a bit to ID your oboe.

It is quite old and the give away for me as to age are the bands around the top joint (under the first octave key) and the top of the bottom joint.
It has no left hand F or split D plate which suggests an intermediate student model. The wrap round key looks as if it will give you a A flat/B flat trill.

The age is not easy, probably around the 1960s and the value is even more difficult probably - according to how it plays - around $500.

The serial numbers are not useful as the lists are long since gone for the double reeds by Selmer. There are so many different models down the ages some made in the USA and some in France. Lots of intermediate and student models and the occasional "posh" wooden job with all the bells and whistles. All very difficult.

I hope this helps a bit...

PS anything else - just ask  

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed