Oboe/Pre-Boosey La FLeur Oboe

I am interested in learning who might have made simple system oboes for JR La Fleur and Son prior to the Boosey acquisition.  Given the time period (late 1800s-1917), I would also appreciate any information on the likely pitch of such instruments. Many thanks!

Hi Matthew

My take on this is that they employed oboe making craftsmen of their own during their period in Green Street, Leicester Square, London. They were at that address for quite a period from 1862 until about 1911.

I have no other information about these early instruments I'm afraid.

After Boosey bought them in 1917 and certainly in the middle of the 20th Century well after the merger with Hawkes and Sons the name was stamped on oboes usually made in Italy by Orsi or Santoni mainly for the burgeoning school market.

Sorry for your having to wait. I do apologise.

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed