Oboe/howarth s6

Question

I am considering buying the s6 model from howarths as my daughter need to upgrade her current oboe and this one seems to be a bit lighter than some of the alternatives. Have you got any experience of this model?

Regards
Oliver.

Answer
Dear Oliver

I have only actually played a couple of these S6 instruments and not for any extended period.
You are absolutely right that the S6 is lighter than the XL series as its walls are slightly thinner. Having said that though the sound is typically good round Howarth in character with easy blowing. The key work is manageable too and a friend of mine who has one and is small in stature finds it a gem to play.

The essential factor in choosing the instrument when you take the plunge is how it plays and whether your daughter actually likes the response and the sound it makes. If you can try a couple alongside each other this is the best way.
A choice is definitely preferable and of course against other oboes as well so that you will be comfortable with your purchase. If you can ask an independent non interested party oboist to help you decide that will be a valuable assist.

Howarth's are very good instruments and are well made to last.

Best of luck with your choice.

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge