Oboe/Marigaux oboe series

I purchased a Marigaux oboe in 1977 that I believe was 1 or 2 years old at that time.  The serial number is 4709.  Would you be able to identify the series?  It does have the third octave key, if that helps.  I'm trying to figure out how to place a value on it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dear Cindy

I am pretty sure that Marigaux in the 1970's only made the 901 series. The current range expanded in 2000. There was a student model the Strasser which would have the Strasser logo and not the usual SML logo. The Strasser Model doesn't have a split D ring either. So I think if you have e third octave  and a split D ring to improve the Dsharp/E trill you have the 901.

The value is very hard to predict. If the oboe is in good shape cosmetically and plays well then think about around $2500 - $3000.

In the UK I know of a 901 made in 1975 which has a load of repaired cracks and that is selling - they hope! - for about 2250. It has been well used in the profession though and even though it is well serviced that value might be a "sale" price to try an shift it. I think that used prices in the US tend to be a little lower than those in the UK if the name Loree is not involved!!

Here is a link to its picture. If yours has the same keywork thats a 901.

Hope that helps you a little

best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed