Oboe/Rigoutat EH Crook

Question

I purchased a secondhands Rigoutat EH dating mid 90's. Together with the horn there is a crook/bocal in very poor condition.  I was wandering what is the best choice of crook to use on this horn.  I know that going to a shop and try some is the best alternative....but not a lot of shops in Europe has that much choices.  So hopelfully you can give me some direction.

Thank you

Answer
Hello!

If you are not able to get to an oboe shop to try and see options, my instinct would be to have you try the crooks of some other players in your area. If there are local professionals and community players that would allow you to try their bocals with your instrument that would give you a hands on trial of what you could potentially buy or what you find does NOT work.  

It is a challenge to give you an answer of what would work, as all of our reeds, instruments and air/embouchure are so different.  What works amazingly for one player wont work at all for another- a very customized field this is!

I hope this helps!  I am not sure where you are located, but Howarth of London has a large selection of bocals.  

Thank you!

Oboe

Hannah Selznick