Occupational Health & Safety/Safety.

Good day
With reference to health and safety policies, risks and harzards specified by industry codes, I have the following questions.
I work for a company involved in land development SIC 6552 and NAICS 237210.
How can one obtain a manual for specified health and safety concerns relevant to these industry codes?
Where can I obtain a sample quality manual for these two codes?
How can I identify specific relevant job harzards and safety policies specific to this industry code?

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your question. Safety is all about evaluating the hazards and risks of the job and type of work your company actually does. There is no real good way to just find a blank template or boiler plate model to address the needs of your company. I understand this is not really the answer one would like to hear, but it is the truth.

To look at getting a safety manual put together that would address everything would require analysis. A job hazard analysis should be conducted and employees should be observed working. It's always best to also look at any equipment your employees would use also. Once you're able to identify the hazards of the work, you can begin to compile a site-specific program safety manual.

Again, the relevant job hazards must be evaluated properly by a trained professional experienced in these matters. However, you could check into http://osha.gov or http://bls.gov for statistics and facts about your industry code. There are also numerous other resources to check as well for more information.

Although I refer back to what I've already stated above in that your manual should be site-specific and job specific, if you really want to get a good head start on your safety manual, the University of South Florida has a Safety Writer program for this exact purpose. It is free and quite good, so here's the link:

I hope all of this helps.

Warmest regards,

Markus Wesaw, M.A., CSP

Occupational Health & Safety

MW Consulting, LLC

Our company can answer questions relating to occupational health and safety. We have experience in common OSHA issues facing the oil & gas industry. Primarily we engage in designing, creating, and implementing training programs for businesses to promote efficiency and increase awareness. Thus, we can answer questions relating to employee training programs so as to promote effective, internal safety programs. Our representatives cannot answer specific legal questions or offer advice on how to get around OSHA regulations. Also, we encourage EHS students to do their own homework and research, but will entertain questions for legitimate educational purposes. Please visit www.osha.training for more information.

Members of the company have taught EHS courses at the collegiate level and continue to do so. Additionally, we have provided training to employees of major oil & gas companies as part of established safety programs. Our professionals are OHSA authorized outreach instructors, CPR instructors, Defensive Driving instructors, and offer many other customized trainings. Our experience level spans nearly a decade in health and safety training and safety culture initiatives.

Juris Doctorate, Masters, and Bachelors Degrees