Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Metal Detector Safety

Hi.  My office will be moving next year to a new office, and it was recently announced that all employees will have to walk through a metal detector to get in.  I am sure that a metal detector is not quite the same thing as an x-ray machine, but still, there has to be at least some concern over increased cancer risk.  I was wondering if you might be aware of any studies that have looked into this link.  Thank you very much.

Vance great question!  For the most part the metal detector technology is safe.  I have not seen anything to the contrary regarding cancer risk.  Metal detectors emit low power electromagnetic fields to detect metal.  Metal detectors do not use ionizing radiation!  Here is a link that has a good explanation of how metal detectors work.  https://www.ncjrs.gov/school/ch3a_2.html   I hope this answers your question.  If you have further questions or need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact me.  Thanks

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP

I can answer questions regarding OSHA general industry and construction compliance, industrial hygiene, workers compensation, general safety issues, Lockout/Tag-out, Power Press safety, Laser Safety, Ergonomics and Fire safety.

I have worked over 5 years in the insurance industry conducting loss prevention services, worked two years as an OSHA Safety Compliance Officer, over 15 years in manufacturing as a safety professional.

American Society of Safety Professionals ASSE

Bachelor of Science degree in Safety Science from Indiana University of Pennsylvania Certified Safety Professional, CSP by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals for over ten years.