Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/how to get contractors or third party companies commited to safety

Question
i am the safety manager in my company. most of the works in the factory ( food manufacturing) are outsource to contractors. these guys are nonchalant and records the highest rate of accidents onsite. what measures, documents to sign etc , must i enforce to ensure 100% compliance from them. i also have the support of the management on this. kindly reply

Answer
Subject: How to get contractors or third party companies committed to safety

Question: I am the safety manager in my company. most of the works in the factory ( food manufacturing) are outsource to contractors. these guys are nonchalant and records the highest rate of accidents onsite. what measures, documents to sign etc , must I enforce to ensure 100% compliance from them. I also have the support of the management on this. kindly reply

Answer: I have been through this on several occasions. The method which works the best in my experience and opinion is to work with your management and develop accident/injury rates that are acceptable - both to be allowed to work for/with the company and rates to continue work with the company. Require a period of satisfactory performance for the contractors for their rates prior to coming to work, make it a part of the written requirements before any contractor is hired or allowed on the work site. Next require a periodic report from the contractor (once a month is good) on all accidents/injuries and then compare that with the performance standards in the contract. When a company fails to meet the standards - advise them they are not meeting the contact provisions regarding safety and they are have a specified period of time to meet the contact provisions or they are through. Be prepared for an argument and hard feelings the first time you kick a contractor off the site for failing to meet the agreed to safety standards. It may take several of these "episodes" at first for the message to be understood but they want the work/business and if satisfactory safety performance is part of doing business with your company - they will find a way to do such. Just make certain your management is ready to back you up on this or the wrong message will get out and your problems could grow worse. You are heading in a very responsible and desirable direction. Getting there may be a struggle but in the end it will be well worth the effort.

I hope these thought will assist you and please feel free to ask if you have any additional questions.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired