Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Fall protection

Question
Does OSHA require fall protection training for personnel who wear fall protection or fall restraints.  If so, how often is the training required and can you site the regulation number?

Answer
Vince very good question.  Yes OSHA requires fall protection training for anyone required to wear it.  This is specifically covered in 29 CFR 1926.503(a) for Construction Industry and fall protection is covered in 29 CFR Sub-Part D.  Training for using fall protection would fall under 29 CFR 1910.132(f).  The training should be conducted prior to use of Fall Protection and retraining shall be conducted anytime there is a change in protective systems, the hazard changes or an employee is evaluated not to have full understanding of the requirements.   The construction standard 29 CFR 1926.503(a) is pretty specific, whereas- the General Industry standards 29 CFR 1910 are less specific and more vague about fall protection and general requirements of fall protection.  I hope this answers your question and if you have further questions or need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact me.  Thanks

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP