Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/OSHA & EPA

Question

How have regulatory agencies like EPA and OSHA hindered the productivity and prosperity of American business and industry and threatened individual freedoms?

Answer
Perfect question Adriana!  There is an abundance of proof that regulatory agencies are needed to control corporation.  Without regulation, corporations would do what they can do to make a profit.  That is the sole purpose of a corporation, make a profit-without regard to people or the environment.  I don't believe OSHA or the EPA would fall into the category of hindering prosperity or threaten individual freedoms.  You have to understand that OSHA safety regulations are MINIMAL requirements.  For instance- say the corporation wanted your father to go into an unsafe trench to repair a gas main and the trench caves in on your father and buries him alive, what happened to his individual freedoms?  The corporation who was out to make a profit by saving money on the time, effort and equipment needed to shore the trench properly.  Sure some corporations will self regulate, but given the consequences of unregulated industry, their profits will be less than the corporation not following any safe practices and will soon be out of business.  Without EPA regulations some industries would rather pollute your ground water with hazardous waste then to do the right thing of having it treated and disposed of properly.  Don't worry, the hexavalent chromium in your water won't hurt you?  Sorry I cannot confirm that OSHA or EPA have hindered productivity or threaten anyone's individual freedoms.  I hope this answered your question.  If you have further questions or need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact me.  Thanks

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP