Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/chain falls/come alongs

hello, im a new safety guy for this construction company and was asked some questions in the field but didn't know the answer and like always when i cant answer them i try to dig up the answers. have been on the osha web site looking and just cant seem to find it or looking in wrong place.. Questions were about using a chain fall or come along to level a load while it was being lifted by a crane to be put in place was just wondering which regulations discussed facts about these  situations. If you could give a direction on where to look would greatly appreciate it thank you!!

Chris great question and welcome to the world of construction safety where every scenario encountered at a construction site doesn't have a specific standard.  First and foremost, 29 CFR 1926.251 would be the first area I would research on devices used in conjunction with material handling that you mentioned.  I would also investigate 29CFR1926.753 for steel erection hoisting and rigging.  If you are asking if there are specific standards that apply to chain falls and/or come along, then the answer is that there are no specific OSHA  standards that specifically address them.  Whenever they are used in conjunction with a lift for positioning and/or balance they must be capable of supporting the load intended.  Typically used in conjunction with a crane and a lifting device as you stated they are loaded laterally.  I wish there was a specific standard I could point to and tell you there in lies the answer.  If you have further questions or need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact me.  Thanks

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP

I can answer questions regarding OSHA general industry and construction compliance, industrial hygiene, workers compensation, general safety issues, Lockout/Tag-out, Power Press safety, Laser Safety, Ergonomics and Fire safety.

I have worked over 5 years in the insurance industry conducting loss prevention services, worked two years as an OSHA Safety Compliance Officer, over 15 years in manufacturing as a safety professional.

American Society of Safety Professionals ASSE

Bachelor of Science degree in Safety Science from Indiana University of Pennsylvania Certified Safety Professional, CSP by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals for over ten years.