Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Lost time??

Question
Hello,

I have an employee who tried to stop an object from falling, worked their entire shift, and then woke up the next day with arm pain. Since he did not seek medical treatment until the day after the injury if we pay him for the day he gets treatment and he returns the following day is that considered a lost time accident?

Chrissy

Answer
Subject: Lost time??

Question: Hello, I have an employee who tried to stop an object from falling, worked their entire shift, and then woke up the next day with arm pain. Since he did not seek medical treatment until the day after the injury if we pay him for the day he gets treatment and he returns the following day is that considered a lost time accident?  -Chrissy

Answer: Yes it is counted as a OSHA lost time accident and an OSHA Recordable Incident. As long as the employee cannot/does not return to their next shift or is unavailable the next day it is to be counted. So if the event happened on a Friday and the employee could not work the next day - Saturday - it would be a time loss incident even if Saturday was not a scheduled work day. If you feel this is rather illogical I would have to agree but then I don't get to make the rules. Like I always told our managers ..... "you expect logic out of government?" That ended most discussions. I wish I could tell you it does not count but that could only cause you problems. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired