Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/LTI Calculation

Question
QUESTION: A lot appreciation for your volunteer services.My question is! A worker has aLTI, at this time company has one million safe man hours. In these hours 30000 hours belong to a sub contractor. Doctor has given 30 days off for worker. Now man hours will be 0? Sub cont man hours shall 0 too or not ?and if  not on manhour display board what i will display. 00 or sub con hours. Secondly my calculations likeAFR, ASR etc will be calculated by previous and present man hours or only hours after LTI

ANSWER: Subject: LTI Calculation

Question: A lot appreciation for your volunteer services. My question is! A worker has a LTI, at this time company has one million safe man hours. In these hours 30000 hours belong to a sub contractor. Doctor has given 30 days off for worker. Now man-hours will be 0? Sub cont man hours shall 0 too or not ?and if  not on man-hour display board what i will display. 00 or sub con hours. Secondly my calculations like AFR, ASR etc will be calculated by previous and present man hours or only hours after LTI

Answer: Basically the answer depends on several factors. The first is how much direct control you exercise over the employee involved and the unit you are tracking. If a subcontractor pays and directs the employee - then an accident/injury is theirs and they must count it. If you pay or directly supervisor the employee then an accident/injury is counted on your record. The other factor is for what are your tracking the accidents/injuries. If you are tracking a "project" rather than a set period of time then accidents/injuries for your employees as well as for contractors and sub-contractors must be counted. I have worked with both systems. We built a new facility/operation on the coast and counted the hours and recordable incidents for any and all employees on the work site. In addition each company involved kept track of their own statistics. Thus we had an incident rate for the project as a whole and individual incident rates for each contractor - subcontractor. Tracking the records was not always easy but it served its purpose - make all accountable.
    For the second part of your question - you count the hours before and after the accident/incident for the period of time (such as a calendar year) or project (from the first drawing of plans to the last light bulb installed) depending on your goals. In our new facility we counted all hours from the day the first construction trailer was moved in until the last adjustment was made and only our employees were on the site. Some of this will depend on the customs and laws of the jurisdiction involved. All of my experience has been with U.S. based companies and under U.S. laws and regulations but that does not mean that these methods are always proper so you may have to adjust the answer for your area.
    I hope this provides you with the information you requested. If I can provide any additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

QUESTION: Thanks for your answer. i just want to reconfirm my understanding in light of you answer.
The sub contractor is working with our company but thy pay their employees theirself but on our notice board we display accmulative safe man hors. Again?
1-Will sub contractor hours also go zero or only our company's hours i.e 1 million total minus 30000 will be zero.
2-My calculations for AFR ASR etc will be calculated from total manhours regardless of LTI but on HSE Notice board i will display man hours after LTI.
3-Do administration of project comes under HSE department if yes kindly make an example of criteria.
Thanks a lot

Answer
Subject: LTI Calculation

Question: Thanks for your answer. i just want to reconfirm my understanding in light of you answer. The sub contractor is working with our company but they pay their employees their self but on our notice board we display cumulative safe man hors. Again?
1-Will sub contractor hours also go zero or only our company's hours i.e. 1 million total minus 30000 will be zero.
Thanks a lot

Answer: 1.)  Correct - the hours worked without an accident/incident for the sub contractor will go to zero as of the date of the accident/incident. The hours worked for a period of time such as a year will not change.
2.)  You are correct - your calculations include the total man-hours for your company and since the injured worker worked for a sub - their accident does not appear in your records or the calculations for your firm. "You are also correct in stating that the notice board hours (or days) includes those after the accident-incident-injury.
3.) With my employers the hours worked by the administration on a project were counted as part of the project IF the employees were working at the physical location of the project (Example: a purchasing manager working in one of the construction trailers) or assigned full-time to the project regardless of their locations (Example: Two draft-persons assigned full-time to the drawings for the project even if they were located in the corporate or division office.) Other staff such as the division safety manager was not included even though he might spend 16 hours a week at the project but was also involved in other matters.

However, this latter is not a hard and fast rule and other companies do not include some or all of the hours worked by the "administration" in the hours for the project. This is a matter of corporate philosophy. I prefer the method where the hours spent by full-time administrative staff are included - but that is a matter of personal preference. I hope this helps clarify the matter and again if I can be of further assistance, please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired