Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Office lighting

Question
Not sure if you can provide answer or not. Trying to save $ on electrical bill in our office. When are we allowed to have office lights off during the work day? Some of our offices are empty at times during the day, may we turn those lights off if the door is closed, locked and no one is working inside that office? Does OSHA require that all the lights in the building be turned on during the work hours? Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Answer
Subject: Office lighting

Question: Not sure if you can provide answer or not. Trying to save $ on electrical bill in our office. When are we allowed to have office lights off during the work day? Some of our offices are empty at times during the day, may we turn those lights off if the door is closed, locked and no one is working inside that office? Does OSHA require that all the lights in the building be turned on during the work hours? Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Answer:  Robert, as long as there is no one working at a work station or in an office the lights may be turned off from the standpoint of OSHA regulations. I would qualify my statement because in some large office buildings (multi-storied) the heat from all the lights being turned on per a certain schedule can enter into the equation for heating and cooling. I doubt that is a concern in your case so as long as an employee at any given workstation has sufficient light you are free to shut down the extras. By the way from a lighting standpoint the vacant offices would not have to have the doors closed and/or locked. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired