Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Incident Frequency Rate

Question
Incident frequency rates that we often calculate in my company are according to the OSHA formula. We obtain results for "all injuries frequency rates" year-to-date and last 12 months.
The question is: What if we need to calculate a frequency rate which consider more than 12 months? For example, what if we consider all 2011 and 2012 data for calculating this rate? Could we use the same formula or it needs to be modified? Is that valid to use the formula as known (considering 200,000 as factor)?
Thanks.

Answer
Subject: Incident Frequency Rate

Question: Incident frequency rates that we often calculate in my company are according to the OSHA formula. We obtain results for "all injuries frequency rates" year-to-date and last 12 months. The question is: What if we need to calculate a frequency rate which consider more than 12 months? For example, what if we consider all 2011 and 2012 data for calculating this rate? Could we use the same formula or it needs to be modified? Is that valid to use the formula as known (considering 200,000 as factor)? Thanks.

Answer: Jaun, as long as you state what the period of the rate is example say "The Indent Rate for the Five-Year Period Ended in 2012 is - xx.xx" you would use the calculation method by adding the incidents for the period and the hours for the period and then using the results in the formula. The constant stays the same (200,000) and adds the units of "per 100 employees" to the result. Thus the above would be "The incident rate for the 5 year period ending December 31, 2013 was xx.xx recordable injuries per 100 employees". This can be done for one or more years or for one or more months. One of the statistics I reported was the Incident Rate by plant on both a monthly and year-to-date basis. The hardest part was getting a timely and accurate report on the number of hours worked. (Note: For salaried employees I used the average number of salaried employees for the period times 173. I found that trying to keep tract of the actual hours with vacations, "overtime", etc. was a basically impossible task.) So again - you are correct - just be sure to state the time period involved. If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to ask.

By the way - it is very refreshing to receive a question that is very clearly stated and lacking in spelling and grammatical errors. Makes a very professional impression.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired