Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Exposure to hazardous human waste in workplace

Question
The place I work at had a leak, that was reported to be the water foutain for over 4 months, this leak was fairly substancial and took up about a 4x6 area visible on the carpet.  It was later found to be a disconnection between the toilet piping and the direct line to the sewage system. This water that had been sitting there for months continuously was " black water" or water full of feces etc.. The plumbers stated that you could see the wall " move" because of maggots in the bottom of the wall from months of excrement being dumped into the walls and the water leaking out.We live where we work in 24 hour shifts the area of leakage is within that living space. The department has fixed the pipe, applied 1 treatment of ortho home defense they picked up at home depot. the department has " cleaned" the carpet. The carpet professional has stated it needs to be removed. Our belief as employees is that the carpet at a minimum should be removed and the surrounding pourous concrete be treated and sealed. Is there a code that address's this? As this has been an extended exposure and Cleaning does not seem sufficient. Also this is a public facility. Thanks for any help or direction in this matter.

Answer
Great question Anthony!  The first standard that comes to mind is in the OSHA General Industry Standards 29 CFR 1910.141 on General Environmental Controls here is the link to the standard http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=979  You may also want to contact the local Health Department regarding your concerns.  I hope this guides you in the right direction.  If you have further questions or need any additional information, please feel free to contact me.  Thanks

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP