Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Requirements for storing aerosol cans

What type of aerosol cans need to be in a storage cabinet and what are the quantity requirements?

Subject: Requirements for storing aerosol cans

Question: What type of aerosol cans need to be in a storage cabinet and what are the quantity requirements?

Answer: Michele, short answer - any materials classified as flammable and/or combustible materials and in larger amounts than "normal working amounts" must be properly stored such as in an approve storage cabinet or storage room. Without a list of the materials and the data sheets for each of the different materials I cannot answer the rest of this question with a specific number of aerosol containers. The number will depend on the major and minor ingredients, the material used as a propellant and the size of the container. With a list of the materials you can begin to work through one of more of the following OSHA standards and an Oregon Fact Sheet which is one of the better references.

1. OSHA Training Paper - "Flammable and Combustible Liquids 29 CFR 1910.106" - http://www.osha.gov/dte/library/flammable_liquids/flammable_liquids.html
2. OSHA Regulations - http://www.osha.gov/dte/library/flammable_liquids/
3. Oregon OSHA (OR-OSHA) fact sheet " Chemical Storage Guidelines, Flammables"- http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?

That said, the best approach is to take your list and contact your local fire department since many locals (cities and counties) have adopted their own local standards (generally in the form of building codes) based on OSHA and the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) standards. Over the years I have found local fire departments to be one of the better sources to work with and one that most other agencies respect and yield to due to their expertise.

Again, I am sorry I cannot give you specific numbers but to do so would require information not included in the question. Again, I would recommend you contact your local fire department for their expectations and perhaps they would even be willing to review all your storage of flammables and combustibles and make recommendations that would improve your overall fire safety as well as the specifics of aerosol can storage. I hope this will provide some assistance and if I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired

I specialize in the professional management of occupational safety and health as well as workers` compensation to reduce losses and improve production and address related issues through a comprehensive approach by senior management using proven principals.I worked for over twenty (20) years in the management of occupational safety, health and workers` compensation and safety training (Retired from employment in 1996 due to a stroke, which prevented the extensive travel required).