Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Battery leakage

Question
Greetings,

I have a question regarding battery leakage. I had a Game Boy that had leaky batteries. By the time I found it, the leakage was all dry. I understand fresh leakage is dangerous, but I'm wondering about the dry leakage. Is it just as bad? I've been trying to clean everything that has come in contact with it (with acids like vinegar, of course), but I'm not entirely sure I got it all. I just want to clean what I can and make sure that no one gets negatively impacted by this little mishap.

Answer
Taro, excellent question!  It sounds like you did an excellent job in the clean up of leaking batteries.  Depending on the type of battery, there are various hazards associated with leaking batteries.  Lithium ion batteries are somewhat safe, in that- they do not contain "toxic" metals, like lead, nickel/cadmium and the like.  Lithium reacts with water and produces hydrogen gas along with a lot of heat.  I don't think anyone will be negatively impacted by your incident with battery leakage. If you have further questions or need any additional information, feel free to contact me.

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP