Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Battery leakage

I have a question regarding battery leakage. I had a Game Boy that had leaky batteries. By the time I found it, the leakage was all dry. I understand fresh leakage is dangerous, but I'm wondering about the dry leakage. Is it just as bad? I've been trying to clean everything that has come in contact with it (with acids like vinegar, of course), but I'm not entirely sure I got it all. I just want to clean what I can and make sure that no one gets negatively impacted by this little mishap.

Taro, excellent question!  It sounds like you did an excellent job in the clean up of leaking batteries.  Depending on the type of battery, there are various hazards associated with leaking batteries.  Lithium ion batteries are somewhat safe, in that- they do not contain "toxic" metals, like lead, nickel/cadmium and the like.  Lithium reacts with water and produces hydrogen gas along with a lot of heat.  I don't think anyone will be negatively impacted by your incident with battery leakage. If you have further questions or need any additional information, feel free to contact me.

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP

I can answer questions regarding OSHA general industry and construction compliance, industrial hygiene, workers compensation, general safety issues, Lockout/Tag-out, Power Press safety, Laser Safety, Ergonomics and Fire safety.

I have worked over 5 years in the insurance industry conducting loss prevention services, worked two years as an OSHA Safety Compliance Officer, over 15 years in manufacturing as a safety professional.

American Society of Safety Professionals ASSE

Bachelor of Science degree in Safety Science from Indiana University of Pennsylvania Certified Safety Professional, CSP by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals for over ten years.