Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/about drinking water on the jobsite

we are a jobsite in a factory that has a drinking fountain, but for us that are istalling a new ceiling witch puts us a little bit away from the fountain, my queistion is can we have a drinking cooler with an outlet for drinking next to us, so we dont have to walk half the factory to get a drink, even though the factory says we can not,and to only use the drinking fountain,

Thank you for this question. My apologies for the delay in answering but I was out of service for a few days.

Yes, you can have one BUT ONLY if the factory authorizes it. And it appears they do not. What a shame because it wastes manhours going back & forth to the drinking fountain.

My suggestion is to ask the factory reps if you can keep bottled water near you when working. Be sure and keep the bottles from being a mess.

I hope this helps.

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Bubba Essary

I have 27 years in the Construction Safety Industry. I can answer questions relating to construction safety for industrial, commercial, heavy high & bridge, residential, and power plants.

I have 27 years experience in both construction and general industrial safety. I have worked many projects from offshore marine construction, large industrial projects, automotive construction projects, shipyard construction, petrochemical and refinery construction, both fossil fuel and gas turbine power plants to name a few. I have worked for clients such as Fluor Daniels, Texas Utilities, Proctor & Gamble, Daimler Chrysler, General Motors and J. Ray McDermott.

National Safety Council
American Society of Safety Engineers

Industrial Safety Magazine