Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Mud Baths

I don't believe the spa I work at is up to health codes. They cut numerous corners on things, and don't treat their employees very well either. I have personally witnessed and have questioned their acts. The final straw for me was someone urinating in a mud bath. The mud attendant informed the manager and the manager informed the General manager. He advised her to just leave and run water overnight. Normal procedure would of require us to close down that room and remove all the mud. Also credit card policies and not checking IDs also bugs me a lot too. I was also informed not to tell people they shouldn't drink before the mud bath. The mud is 104 degrees and I have witness people pass out. None of these employees are trained in CPR or what to do in these instances. I'm tired of standing by without knowing who to report to. Can you please help me?

Melissa great question, it sounds like you are very knowledgeable in the work that you do and I commend you for wanting to do the right thing for the customers.  Your first approach should be to develop a plan of action you think management should take and try to address it with them.  Very often managers are motivated by cost savings and bonuses associated with them, without considering the ramifications from an employee/customer aspect.  A good manager would and should want to do the right thing in terms of providing a healthful and safe work environment for both employees and customers.  In terms of who regulates these types of facilities, I believe the local, county and state health departments would be the organization that would be interested in their practices.  I hope I steered you in the right direction, keep up the good work!  If you have further questions or need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact me.  Thanks

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP

I can answer questions regarding OSHA general industry and construction compliance, industrial hygiene, workers compensation, general safety issues, Lockout/Tag-out, Power Press safety, Laser Safety, Ergonomics and Fire safety.

I have worked over 5 years in the insurance industry conducting loss prevention services, worked two years as an OSHA Safety Compliance Officer, over 15 years in manufacturing as a safety professional.

American Society of Safety Professionals ASSE

Bachelor of Science degree in Safety Science from Indiana University of Pennsylvania Certified Safety Professional, CSP by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals for over ten years.