Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/AFR and ASR by ANSI Standard Code

Question
Dear Sirs,
Please be informed, as an expert  safety officer in the field of Oil and Gas Industries with 10 years experiences , I contact with you from Iran.

I have a question and would be grateful and thank you , if you let me have your response as below

What is the title and standard code number is related to "AFR (Accident Frequency Rate)"and "ASR (Accident Severity Rate)" and issued by ANSI?

At the end of letter , I thank you for your consideration in advance.

Best Regards,
Hamed Khoshniat

Answer
Subject: AFR and ASR by  ANSI Standard Code

Question: Dear Sirs,
    Please be informed, as an expert safety officer in the field of Oil and Gas Industries with 10 years experiences, I contact with you from Iran.
Best Regards, Hamed Khoshniat

Answer: As best as I understand your question - the only ANSI Standard relating directly Occupational Safety and Health is the one "Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems" which was developed by the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)and the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) and was issued as "ANSI/AIHA/ASSE Z10-2012". It is available to purchase from the American National Standards Institute for a cost of $105 (US). I suspect there are copies available though some sources such as insurance carriers and trade associations. It is described as:

"Provided in this updated standard is the blueprint for widespread benefits in health and safety, as well as in productivity, financial performance, quality, and other organizational and business objectives. Sections include Management Leadership and Employee Participation, Planning, Implementation and Operation, Evaluation and Corrective Action, and Management Review. Appendices address roles and responsibilities, policy statements, assessment and prioritization, audits, and more."

I do not have a copy or being retired access to such. The information I have on the various rates is from various classes I have taken and groups I have worked with over the past 40 plus years. I would warn that over the years the definitions of many of the components used in the calculation of the various rates have changed, some more than once so the comparison of "rates" is very difficult if not impossible. The rate used the most by American industry is based on the "Incident Rate" or a variation and instituted by the OSHA act of approximately 1973  It is available at no cost from:

https://www.osha.gov/index.html

but may require much time searching for the specific item you are interested in. Also be aware that many industries and trade groups (and even individual companies use their own definitions and calculations in regards to accident "frequency" and "severity" rates so that a truly valid comparison of rates is very difficult or even impossible. In closing I believe that a copy of the ANSI standard referenced in my answer would be a very excellent place to start and will be well worth the expense as it is published with the quidence of 2 excellent and professional organizations - ASSE and AIHA.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired