Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/use of spray paint in an enclosed cellar with no open windows or doors and four gas burning pilot lights

Is it safe

Keith great question!  If you have read the instructions on the can, it specifically tells you to use in a well ventilated area.  A closed in basement with sources of ignition probably isn't a good idea.  Moreover, not only may it be a flammable gas problem, but there are some vapors in the can you wouldn't want to breathe in.  I'm not going to get into the calculation of how much vapor in air it would take to get to the lower explosive limit, but it would all depend on how much you sprayed.  Most flammable vapors are heavier than air and would accumulate on the floor of the basement near the pilot lights level.  The safe thing to do is to spray only in a well ventilated area.  I hope this answers your question.  Thanks

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Robert Tipton, CSP

I can answer questions regarding OSHA general industry and construction compliance, industrial hygiene, workers compensation, general safety issues, Lockout/Tag-out, Power Press safety, Laser Safety, Ergonomics and Fire safety.

I have worked over 5 years in the insurance industry conducting loss prevention services, worked two years as an OSHA Safety Compliance Officer, over 15 years in manufacturing as a safety professional.

American Society of Safety Professionals ASSE

Bachelor of Science degree in Safety Science from Indiana University of Pennsylvania Certified Safety Professional, CSP by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals for over ten years.