Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Loss time accident

Question
I have an employee who had an injury on the job. We gave her light duty work, as requested by the doctors. After a 2 month period, out of no where, she claimed extreme pain, and has taken a week off, per her doctor. Will this fall unto a loss time claim, or is this a personal choice? Should this be a FMLA case, or does this fall on the loss time accident area? She has not missed any work previous to this day.  Thank you

Answer
Subject: Loss time accident

Question: I have an employee who had an injury on the job. We gave her light duty work, as requested by the doctors. After a 2 month period, out of nowhere, she claimed extreme pain, and has taken a week off, per her doctor. Will this fall unto a loss time claim, or is this a personal choice? Should this be a FMLA case, or does this fall on the loss time accident area? She has not missed any work previous to this day.  Thank you

Answer: The attending physician will make the call on this. If they relate the missed work days as being the result of an incident on the job - then the case will be time lost even though the missed time did not occur immediately after the incident. A good attorney will claim the employee attempted to keep the incident from being time lost but that eventually it became more than she could handle. I have had this happen a number of times. No one likes this but is not a way I know of to have it go the FMLA route. Sorry I couldn't give you an answer that would be of assistance to your record but if I can assist in any other manner please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired