Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Drinking Water

Question

I work for a small company and the employees are making complains that the water is reaching to the job site very late . Can the employer be cited for not have water on the job ? An if so, can you give me information on in the OSHA regulation or standard to protect  our employees and employer in working in a hazard free environment.

Answer
Subject: Drinking Water

Question: Hi, I work for a small company and the employees are making complains that the water is reaching to the job site very late. Can the employer be cited for not have water on the job? And if so, can you give me information on in the OSHA regulation or standard to protect our employees and employer in working in a hazard free environment.

Answer: Yes under the OSHA regulations the employer is required to furnish (have available) drinking water at all times to employees. See reference [section - 1910.141(b)(1)(iii)]listed in the following:

Reference:

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9790

How the employer meets this requirement can be accomplished in a number of ways, but suitable water must be available at all times.

I hope this provides the necessary information and if I can provide additional assistance please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired