Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Storage of Flammable material

Question
We recently replaced all of our flammable storage cabinets in our plant crib. We store paint, mold cleaner etc. in 12 oz cans. the question is can the cans be kept in their corrugated box (12 per box)unopened in the cabinet until ready to use?

Answer
Subject: Storage of Flammable material

Question: We recently replaced all of our flammable storage cabinets in our plant crib. We store paint, mold cleaner etc. in 12 oz cans. The question is can the cans be kept in their corrugated box (12 per box) unopened in the cabinet until ready to use?

Answer: Richard, yes the unopened boxes should be stored in the approved flammable storage cabinets. The amount of additional material the cardboard adds is in fact low. One of my locations spent a large amount of time finding plastic contains to use to store the cans in until they were needed. I suggested they remove the plastic and use the cardboard boxes they received them in since the plastic could add additional fuel in the event of fire and even possibly toxic fumes. What they did was to take the received boxes and using a box cutter removed the upper two thirds of the boxes which still helped with storage but reduced the amount of cardboard. The other control of course is to minimize the amount of flammable material kept on site. This may not be practical since price oftens tends to encourage large purchases. It might be to your advantage to have the local fire agency or department review your actual storage and make any recommendations the feel are needed. My experience has been the fire departments can be of great assistance without the penalties and fines others use. I hope this will assist with your concerns, if I can be of any further assistance please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired