Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/1000000 man hours without LTA celebration

Question
Dear Sir

Thanks for the services you provide for humanity

in most companies they celebrate for 1000000 man hours free accident,

kindly i am asking you to explain this celebration is based on whitch regulation or standards. or how we should understand this issue.

Best regards

Tahar

Answer
Subject: 1000000 man hours without LTA celebration

Question: Dear Sir Thanks for the services you provide for humanity In most companies they celebrate for 1000000 man hours free accident,
kindly i am asking you to explain this celebration is based on which regulation or standards. or how we should understand this issue.
Best regards, Tahar

Answer: You ask a question that could require an entire book to discuss and review adequately so my response may raise many additional questions. To the best of my knowledge there are no requirements to celebrate or even recognize 1,000,000 man hours without an accident/incident. Generally it is done to recognize and encourage safe behavior/performance by employees. The type of recognition depends in part on the emphasis given to safety by the company involved and the degree of difficulty in achieving 1,000,000 accident-free man hours (office work vs. lumber production). The more difficult it is to achieve the greater the recognition. The recognition can vary from an email to all employees thanking them for the achievement to some type of physical gift to each employee. Again the amount spent per employee depends on the company and the difficulty in obtainment. The more employees receive in the form of recognition the harder they are apt to work for achieving goals. So while recognition for achieving 1,000,000 hours without an accident is not mandatory it does provide a company in a high risk industry the opportunity to enhance the safety effort.

I hope this provides some thoughts on this that will assist you. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired