Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Personal Accident Statistics

Question
Good day Sir! I am an employed personnel from an electric cooperative based here in the Province of Batangas, Philippines. May I know how to compute/assess/analyze the following:

Total No. of Manhours?
Total No. of Safe-Manhours?
No. of Lost Time Injuries?
No. of Lost Days?
Disabling Injury/Illness Frequency Rate?
Disabling Injury/Illness Severity Rate?

Base on this reference data:

EmployeePosition #ofDaysNotAbledHimToGoToWork  #ofHoursNAHTGTWork
Lineman A          6 Days          48 Hours
Lineman B          30 Days          240 Hours
Meter Reader        3 Days          24 Hours
Lineman C          10 Days          80 Hours
Lineman D          9 Days          72 Hours
Lineman E          28 Days          224 Hours
Lineman F          119 Days          952 Hours
Lineman G          Died Since July 29, 2014          -----

Thank you very Sir and I am hoping for your immediate response regarding the matter. God bless!!!

Answer
Subject: Personal Accident Statistics

Question: Good day Sir! I am an employed personnel from an electric cooperative based here in the Province of Batangas, Philippines. May I know how to compute/assess/analyze the following:

Total No. of Manhours?
Total No. of Safe-Manhours?
No. of Lost Time Injuries?
No. of Lost Days?
Disabling Injury/Illness Severity Rate?

Base on this reference data:

Answer:  All statistics I have ever worked with or seen are reported for a company, location, department or similar group and not for individual employees.  It could be done but I am not sure what value the results would be. I would certainly not recommend such. I believe it would suffice to state that an employee had worked x number of days (or hours) without a time loss accident (or recordable incident).

The calculations for most accidents statistics are the same:

Accident Statistics Being Calculated (Incidents, Time Lost Accidents, etc.)   Equal Number of events times the Constant being used (this would be 200,000 for the U.S. OSHA Incident Rate or 1,000,000 for frequency as used in many parts of the world)   Divided by the actual number of hours worked by the unit being measured.

Example In the year 2012 a location works 653,000 hours in one year with 4 accidents/incidents
The OSHA Incident rate is
4 times 200,000 divided by 635,000 equals 1.23 OSHA Recordable Incidents per 100 employees for 2012.  If 2 of the Incidents were time loss then the Tike Lost OSHA Incident rate would equal 2 times 200,000 divided by 635,000 equals 0.63 OSHA  Time Lost Incident Rate per 100 employees for 2012.
Note: The constant 200,000 used in OSHA calculations is the number representing the hours worked by 100 employees working 40 hours per week for 50 weeks per year.

You can substitute any number of statistics you wish the basic process would be the sane,

I stated that I had never seen or used accident statistics recorded per employee however that does not mean it could not be done.  First I would want to change the constant from the current value to a different number. I would start with the number 2,000 which would represent the number of hours worked in a year by an individual working 40 hours per week for 50 weeks.

In that case an employee involved in 1 OSHA Recordable Incident in 2012 while working 2,234 hours would have an Individual Incident Rate of 1 x 2000 / 2234 = 0.895. If the employee has 3 OSHA Recordable Incidents and worked 2863 hours his rate would be 3 x 2,000 / 2,000 = 2.096
.
This number could be used to quantify individual safety performance which could be used in a number of ways. The downside is the large amount of time and effort needed to set up such a system and then maintain it. With modern computers it could be done but I am not sure it is worth the effort IF it is not used by management to evaluate individual safety performance.

I hope this will assist with the information you requested and if I can be of any further assistance please feel free to ask

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired