Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/horse play on a pallet jack

Question
I moved a couple of pallets with a manual pallet jack to a trailer to be disposed of. while pulling pallet jack back to my department i stepped on the forks while holding on to the jack handle and pushed myself as if i was riding a skateboard through two other departments. i am being disciplined. my question is. "is this a punishable act to begin with at to wat extent should i be punished?

Answer
Subject: horse play on a pallet jack

Question: I moved a couple of pallets with a manual pallet jack to a trailer to be disposed of. While pulling pallet jack back to my department I stepped on the forks while holding on to the jack handle and pushed myself as if I was riding a skateboard through two other departments. I am being disciplined. My question is. Is this a punishable act to begin with and at to what extent should I be punished?

Answer: If the employer has this as a safety rule then discipline is appropriate. It does not have to be an OSHA violation. The level of discipline would depend on facts not included what departments were involved, what exposure did other employees have, what was the risk of injury and how serous would/could those injuries be, what is your record of safety infractions, etc, I have worked in plants where your actions would have resulted in a verbal or written warning and I have worked in plants that based on information not given could result in your being given a final check and shown the door. The goal is to stress the importance of safety rules and the absolute necessity to follow them by all employees at all levels. If I can provide any further assistance please feel free to ask,

Michael Brown, CSP Retired  

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired