Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards/Washer/dryer installation

Question
My company sells, installs, and repairs washers and dryers in multi-family communities.  In most cases the dryer (120 lbs.) is stacked on top of front-load washers.  This means the dryer must be un-stacked before we can get to the washer components.

Are there OSHA regulations that would affect the installation of washers (150 lbs.) and dryers (120 lbs.).  I am particularly lifting the dryer on and off the washer?

Answer
Subject: Washer/dryer installation

Question: My company sells, installs, and repairs washers and dryers in multi-family communities.  In most cases the dryer (120 lbs.) is stacked on top of front-load washers.  This means the dryer must be un-stacked before we can get to the washer components. Are there OSHA regulations that would affect the installation of washers (150 lbs.) and dryers (120 lbs.).  I am particularly lifting the dryer on and off the washer?

Answer: Daniel, unfortunately there are no specific standards in OSHA for lifting under normal conditions. They use the NIOSH calculations for specific tasks. The formula for the calculations includes the weight, the distance from the floor (both starting and ending), the number of lifts per hour and other factors (common sense not included) which for your task would require a series of measurements and calculations for each lift.
    My experience (40+ years) and use of the formula under ideal circumstances would cause me to recommend that the lifts of the weights you state should be done by two people even without addressing the environmental conditions that may exist for at least some of the situations. Granted this would lead to additional expense for the cost of a second person but then this should be offset by quicker completion of the assignments as well as other benefits.
    I am sorry that I cannot give you a specific number due to the complex nature of each possible set of circumstances but hope this response will help. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to ask.

Michael Brown, CSP Retired

Occupational (OSHA) and Environmental Hazards

Mike Brown CSP Retired