Oceanography/The "Galano" shark of Cuba

e wrote at 2009-05-20 04:18:11

I think is a lemon shark, because there is a description - a brown color

And for the lemon fish - it gets its name, because of its pale yellow brown coloring

and its a blunt nosed shark

Braden Traw wrote at 2012-04-19 22:55:22
Actually it tells you in the book that they are shovel-nosed sharks because of their brown body and triangular fins

MofistolRobinson wrote at 2012-10-05 15:53:18
Paul Hendrickson's Hemingway's Boat: Everything He Loved in Life, and Lost, 1934-1961 describes a fight between Hemingway and a shark he referred to as a galano. According to Hendrickson these sharks "are known for their shovel-shaped head, large triangular fin, bad odor, and not least, by the way they'll go after anything..." (p. 204).

not an oceanographer wrote at 2015-09-12 14:33:55
Aileen Journales,

"he had identified them as hovel-nosed sharks by the brown, triangular fin and the sweeping movement of the tail." He could see their wide, flattened, shovel-pointed heads now and their white-tipped wide pectoral fins. They were hateful sharks, bad smelling, scavengers as well as killers, and when they were hungry they would bite at an oar or the rudder of a boat. It was these sharks that would cut the turtle's legs and flippers off when they turtles were asleep on the surface..." and   "The line showed clearly on the top of his brown head and back where the brain joined the spinal cord..." He also speaks of yellow cat-like eyes.  

aileen jornales

anything about biological oceanography or marine biology

i am a marine biologist working in coastal resource management for almost ten years now. my field of specialty is biological oceanography (or marine biology)and i know a little bit of physical oceanography, specifically water currents and tides.

University graduate of bachelor of science in marine biology