Oceanography/marine biology

Question
hi I'm in the 7th grade and i have always wanted to be a marine biologist because i love the ocean and love dolphins but I'm not god at math . I'm passing with an A but I'm not that good. so what kind of physics do you need to know and why do you need it
thanks your confused friend,
         Eion

Answer
Hi

It is not easy to say what kinds of math you might need to use once you have begun working as a marine biologist, because different researchers and workers often need very different math skills, or not much at all depending upon the job.

For example, if your job is to write informative signs at an aquarium describing the kinds of animals in the display, you might not use any math at all.  Ditto if you main job is to go out in a boat and collect marine specimens.

On the other hand, if you are engaged in developing theoretical models of marine species interactions you might need to be pretty good at calculus; most biologists today researchers need to be pretty familiar with basic statistics.

Now, as to physics, almost all college courses in basic physics (required to get a degree in biology) require at least introductory calculus.  Most of the good marine biology programs today also require basic statistics.

But the good news is, you are almost certainly good enough to pass those courses without too much trouble - they are designed for ALL students - not math majors.  Math majors usually take a set of much tougher courses.

If it helps, I also really dreaded math courses, but I got through them and went on to be a professor of marine biology who actually ended up teaching statistics for biology majors.

There may be a number of good reasons to change your mind about what career you want to pursue, but "fear of math" is NOT one of them.

Best of luck.

Oceanography