Oceanography/Ocean Currents

Question
I've got a question regarding something I've seen in a lot in motion pictures. If a large ocean liner was left adrift without its engines running and totally abandoned, could it really drift by itself for several years without reaching land or would it eventually sink under natural conditions? I know there was a similar case with the Mary Celeste, but how much longer could it have drifted if it had not been found so fast?

Answer
It is possible for a ship to drift for a long time (years) without hitting land, especially if it is caught up in a mid-ocean gyre such as that associated with the Sargasso Sea. It impossible to tell exactly how long it could stay afloat since that would depend on the seaworthiness of the vessel.

Oceanography

randy patton