Oil/Gas/Land Owner and Leasing Interest

My mom left me her rights to 20 net mineral acre(gas and oil) in Henrietta County Section 21-09N-14E. In 2010, a three year lease at $200 per acre and bearing 3/16th royalty ended.  

Two questions.  I'd like to know the surface rights owner and how to engage a company to negotiate a new lease.  Thanks.

The surface rights owner can be identified by contacting the taxing authority for Henrietta County.  You can find them online and in many cases you can search online for the name and address of the person Henrietta County sends that annual tax notice to.   There you will have the surface owner information.

You can identify  companies to lease by contacting the Henrietta County Clerk's office.  When you get to the clerk's office you will conduct a search of the recently recorded documents (go back for the last 12 months) to determine who has leased minerals in the county.  Those who are actively leasing are your best bet.  Contact their land department and see if they would be interested in your area.  

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years