Oil/Gas/The I. & N. Oil, Gas and Mineral Co.

Question
Hello Mr. Williams,

I have found a shares certificate for The I. & N. Oil, Gas and Mineral Co. purchased by my grandfather in 1918. It has a Carter County OK seal. I was wondering if you know anything about the history of this company or suggestions on how I may continue research.

This may not be a question suitable for this forum but my internet searches are coming up blank.

I appreciate any suggestions.

r/
Mike

Answer
That is an interesting question indeed.  I would do a couple different things.  First, you should call the Secretary of State office in Oklahoma and inquire there first.  You will want to ask them if I. & N. Oil, Gas & Mineral Co. was registered to conduct business in Oklahoma back in those years.  If so, you want to know what state they were incorporated in, i.e. Delaware.

https://www.sos.ok.gov/business/corp/records.aspx

Once you have determined which State held their incorporation, determine whether the State can tell you who purchased the company...or, who they merged into.  You are going to want to continue doing this until you get to the ownership today.

The Secretary of State office is going to be your best bet.  You will be able to do the majority of the work on the telephone in all likelihood.

Best of luck to you in your search.

Oil/Gas

Cliff Williams