Oil/Gas/Is affidavit valid for more than one property?

Question
Can an affidavit of heirship filed against a specific Section of land be relied upon to determine title to severed mineral interests in ANOTHER Section of land in the same county in which the affidavit is filed of record, if it meets the other requirements of Oklahoma title examination standards?  In other words, are affidavits of hiership good only for the lands cited on the affidavit, or for any lands owned by the decedent in the same county?

Answer
As you likely know, an affidavit in itself will not transfer or verify ownership in minerals in Oklahoma, though oil companies will often lease based on just an affidavit if no probate has been done. Most buyers will not buy unless an estate has actually been probated however.

To answer your question, it would depend on what the affidavit stated as to whether it would be applicable to another section in the same county. If the affidavit said "all minerals owned by decedent" or something, and you see where the decedent owned in the section you're interested in, then I'd say the affidavit applied to both sections and the heir would have likely inherited that as well.

Without a court providing an Order or Final Decree stating that the heir inherited the section you're interested in I'd say there would still be a "cloud" on the title however. Without a court order, you're taking a chance since there may be other relatives other than the heir on the affidavit that would come out of the woodwork later. If you want to be "sure" it's best to have the decadent's estate probated (whether they died testate or intestate.)

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott