Oil/Gas/Land is leased and wells all around...

Mr. Scott my question/concern is.. my mom and my aunt have land in and around Eldorado OK where there have been wells for years. In recent years they have put several more around their property but not directly on their land. I don't exactly understand why the leasing company who races to lease the land from competitors but you don't hear from them again until the lease expires. I am confident there is oil there its just the fact of getting the process started. So all of that to say this.. Is there any thing that they as landowners can do to expedite the process? Or is it a possibility that nothing will ever happen with the lease or potential drilling on their land.

In most cases it's better to let the companies contact you rather than you contacting them. If you contact them I believe your negotiating power may be diminished somewhat. As long as you realize that however, then of course it's "acceptable" to contact potential lessees on your own. I'd just be a bit more "on guard" when negotiating the terms.

Once your minerals are leased, it's not unusual to not hear from the company again unless a producing well is drilled, at which point you'll received a division order and eventually royalty checks from the company. The lease simply gives them the "right, but not the obligation" to drill a well. There is really no reason for them to contact you after leasing unless they  want to lease you again as the primary term of the current lease is expiring.

If you would like to contact some potential lessees on your own your best bet would be to check the County Clerk's records to see which companies may be leasing in your area. No point in contacting companies that are not already in the general area in my opinion.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)