Oil/Gas/Landman question

Question
Hello there,
This might be out of your reach...but I was just wondering how to become a Land man.  There is so much information on the Internet.  I am from CT, I have been living in PA now for a year and finally got a job at Chevron.  I am excited about the Oil & Gas Industry and want to pursue a career as a Land man.
From the information that I've gathered, I have to actually be a Land man i order to pursue a certification as one.
Is there any advice or information you can give me pertaining to my question?

I'd appreciate any answer even a "Hell No!" ha

Thank you very much!!

~Briana

Answer
A couple of ways to get started.

1. You could apply for an "internship" position within an oil company's land department. Likely would be an unpaid position however, and many require you be taking related college courses at the same time.

2. Try to get hired on "buying leases" or "doing title research" at a small land company. Land companies are often hired by oil and gas companies to buy leases for them. It's often easier to get a job at a small land company as an independent contractor then it would be to find a job with a large oil and gas company.

3. Check out the American Association of Professional Landmen Website at http://www.landman.org and do some research. They have several certification levels that may help you gain some credibility with potential employers once you have some experience. There is also education material available from them that may help get you started, including "study materials" for their certification tests.

A good landman can make as much as $500 per day (sometimes more) in active areas. Less experienced landmen may start at between $150-$200 per day.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Oil/Gas

Frederick M. Scott