You are here:

Oil/Gas/Landman question


Hello there,
This might be out of your reach...but I was just wondering how to become a Land man.  There is so much information on the Internet.  I am from CT, I have been living in PA now for a year and finally got a job at Chevron.  I am excited about the Oil & Gas Industry and want to pursue a career as a Land man.
From the information that I've gathered, I have to actually be a Land man i order to pursue a certification as one.
Is there any advice or information you can give me pertaining to my question?

I'd appreciate any answer even a "Hell No!" ha

Thank you very much!!


A couple of ways to get started.

1. You could apply for an "internship" position within an oil company's land department. Likely would be an unpaid position however, and many require you be taking related college courses at the same time.

2. Try to get hired on "buying leases" or "doing title research" at a small land company. Land companies are often hired by oil and gas companies to buy leases for them. It's often easier to get a job at a small land company as an independent contractor then it would be to find a job with a large oil and gas company.

3. Check out the American Association of Professional Landmen Website at and do some research. They have several certification levels that may help you gain some credibility with potential employers once you have some experience. There is also education material available from them that may help get you started, including "study materials" for their certification tests.

A good landman can make as much as $500 per day (sometimes more) in active areas. Less experienced landmen may start at between $150-$200 per day.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written several articles which have appeared in various oil and gas industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and landwork over the past ten years, and also worked as a professional landman and lease buyer for a time. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO); American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL)

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.