Oil/Gas/Lea County NM mineral rights ownership

We have inherited minerals in fee for Lea County, NM. West one-haf of Section 34 and South one-half of Section 27, Township 15 South, Range 34 East.  We are trying to determine who all has ownership, if it is currently under lease, if it is or has been drilled.  The inheritance is confusing and we need to figure out how to establish clear rights, ownership and possibly sell what we own.  Where can we go for assistance?

To determine who else might have ownership of the other 1/2 interest in the mineral estate you will need to have a title check conducted at the courthouse.  The landman, abstractor, or attorney will review the ownership documents recorded in Lea County, NM for transfers, severances, or other title issues and tell you who owns what percentage of the mineral estate.

The New Mexico Conservation ( be able to tell you if any wells have been drilled in the area or on the property.  Give them a call with the legal description above and they will let you know what production is in the area.

You may be able to obtain help in establishing your clear rights, ownership and possibly sell your interest by conducting an internet search "I want to sell my minerals".  There are many different companies out there that will purchase your interest and some are very happy to send a landman over to the Lea County courthouse to clear the title and draft the curative documents that will establish the chain of title.

Hope this helps,  

Cliff Williams

I will try to answer any question you have. Even if I reject a question, I still will give a shot at what I would do in your position. The only questions I will not take a shot at would be a highly technical engineering or geological question. I am beginning to see quite a few questions from land men and other oil companies and that doesn't matter to me either. I will attempt to help.

I am an oil and gas attorney that has been in the business for more than 20 years. I have held a series 22 and 63 securities license, been in oil and gas operations, land man, division order analyst all prior to obtaining my law degree. Today, I typically write title opinions verifying ownership of oil and gas minerals, assist landowners in negotiations on oil, gas and mineral leases, easements and conveyances. I also assist oil and gas companies with the sale of working interest ownership as well as common business law issues.

State Bar of Texas, Member of the Tarrant County Bar and the Dallas County Bar Associations.

Multiple oil and gas topical columns on

I have a B.S. degree which I rely upon more than my Business Mgmt degree or Law degree...

Husband and father of 26 years