Oil/Gas/oil and gas lease

My mother is now deceased Oct 7 2012, she has been offered an oil & gas lease from Universal Land services.  according to the Landman records indicate that she own 2.8571 net mineral acres under 160,000 gross acre.  The term of the lease are as follows: 3yr term, a 3/16th royalty provision and 175/per net mineral acre.  My question is how did she acquire the mineral rights, she had no idea she own any type property.  Also I am her oldest son she died without a will.  I have a probate lawyer however I just found out about the oil and gas lease, how should I proceed, and is this a good offer? Pearline Gouch Section 22, Township 16N, Range 04E, Lincoln County, Oklahoma.  My name is Reginald Gouch.  I will be the executor of her estate.  There is one other sibling.

The only way to determine how your mother acquired these mineral interests is for a landman or title abstractor to research the county clerk records in the county where the property is located.  If you have a probate lawyer he should include these minerals as part of her estate and perhaps he knows an oil and gas abstractor or landman who he can ask to research the county records for you to determine how she acquired them.  However, this research may be very expensive because it is difficult to estimate how long it will take before a title search will take.  

You should also be able to inquire from the landman who has contacted you to lease the minerals how your mother acquired the minerals.  He has already had the title researched to determine who the proper owner is to contact them for leasing.

As far as the offer that has been made to you to lease, I certainly don't think the first offer is the best offer you can negotiate, so I would suggest countering the offer and ask for 1/5th royalty and $250/per net mineral acre.

Keep asking questions!

Best of luck.  

Laura M. FitzGerald, CPL

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING A QUESTION. I can answer all questions related to oil and gas ownership, mineral interests and working interests concerning the leasing and selling of your minerals, any questions concerning pipeline ROW's, units with the Louisiana Department of Conservation; pooling provisions, depth limitations, vertical or horizontal pugh clauses; and oil and gas terminology. I can offer assistance in negotiating for leasing your property, assisting in locating owners of suspended funds or to receive the best offer for your oil and gas interests, should you desire to sell. I am only able to answer questions regarding oil and gas leases, minerals, royalties, or offers to purchase mineral/royalty interests if I have complete information. Please provide a full legal description for your interest(s). If the question pertains to a lease, please include all terms of any current (or desired) lease offers, including lease bonus amount, royalty and lease term. If the question is regarding a mineral or royalty interest offer to purchase, please provide the offer amount, date of offer, other offer terms, and further details on the mineral/royalty interest, such as lease terms, and if producing, the average monthly income. Since I receive numerous inquiries daily, I am only able to answer your questions efficiently and effectively if I have complete information. I must decline any questions submitted with incomplete information. If your question is non-technical in nature and you simply need assistance understanding an oil and gas matter, please submit your question with as much information and detail as possible. Any background information that has led to your question is also very helpful.

I have over 34 years experience as an Independent Petroleum Landman. I became a Landman after working as a paralegal for Oil & Gas Attorneys for 8 years. My first 2 years were spent specializing in Well History and Research with the Louisiana Department of Conservation, then moving into clearing title defects and handling title curative for oil and gas properties for the next 6 years. Subsequent thereto, I handled title issues, buying oil and gas leases and settling surface damages. I also acquired acreage for drilling prospects in excess of 10,000 acres. I also became a mineral/royalty owner commencing in 2004 and have found that I can help many people when they have reached the point in their lives they feel converting their minerals or royalties into a cash asset benefits them.

American Association for Professional Landmen, ArkLaTex Assoc. of Professional Landmen, and Dallas Association of Professional Landmen (DAPL), Certified by the Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)- South. This certification is one of the most widely recognized and respected certifications in the nation. This designation is reserved for only those women-led businesses that exemplify the characteristics of integrity and professionalism to which the WBENC adheres to so strictly.

Attended LSU, became a Certified Professional Landman in 1994; Notary Public with dual authority in multiple parishes in North Louisiana; Bilingual in English and Greek

Expert Oil & Gas Professional assisting attorneys representing landowners. Involved in 2 lawsuits and both suits were awarded to the landowner. Ilios Resources, Inc. has been awarded the Best of Shreveport Oil and Gas Mineral Buyer Award for 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012.

Consultant Landman for Texas Oil & Gas (TXO Production Corp.), Anadarko Petroleum, Comstock Resources,Independent Geologists, Pipeline ROW Clients, and Oil & Gas Attorneys. For the past 5 years my practice is primarily an advocacy for the landowner. I also assist royalty owners recover suspended payments or incorrect royalty payments, or sell their mineral or royalty interest.